Sunday, September 6, 2009

Incredible Wonderful Bread


My mother makes the most magnificent rolls you will ever have. For every holiday event or gathering the only thing my mother has ever been asked to bring are rolls. When family members visit from out of town they always call ahead and ask that she make her homemade rolls. Anytime she makes them she has to fight all of us off because we will grab them as soon as they come out of the oven if at all possible.

I have fond memories of waking up on Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays to the smell of bread rising all over the house. Our home had a large wood burning stove in the living room to provide extra heat and my mother would fill that room with pans and pans of rising rolls. The smell was heavenly.

I did not develop and interest in learning how to make bread until I moved out of my mothers house. Every year when the weather turned cold I found myself craving the comforting smell of rising bread. I would soon learn that making bread is not as easy as my mother made it look for all those years and that many people can't do t at all. It has taken me 10 years to learn how to make bread and still mine does not come out as good as hers does. The texture is different and the darker outer crust is not quiet the same. But according to my family the bread is still very good and they throw fits over getting a slice when ever I make it.

The turning point in my bread making came when I read a chapter in a book about building Earth Ovens about the nature of yeast and came to understand that Yeast is a living thing and should be treated as such. It was only when I came to understand this that I was truly able to make good bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment